Tuesday 31 December 2013

Newtown - A history of Newtownards

 
Newtown - A history of Newtownards
 


When researching family history it is vitally important to get a feel of, and gain knowledge of, where you live - it is your DNA!
 
As mentioned in my previous post of the Anderson's settled in a few areas of Ulster, my (our) branch  of the Andersons settled in The Ards. Newtownards is the main town and is home of Ards Borough Council - find more about Newtownards here.....Newtownards, also a very good web-site to visit is here Derek Beattie - Newtownards. As I progress with my family history I will return again to Derek's web site for more information.
 
A few weeks before Christmas I attended a book launch for 'Newtown - A history of Newtownards' in the Town Hall (Market House), there was an turn out of local folk! The book written by Dr. Trevor McCarvery was a reprint of his earlier work. The updated version was commissioned to coincide with the 400th Anniversary of the granting of the Royal Charter to Newtown by King James I in 1613. So, rather than regurgitate everything that is in the book why not but yourself a copy - perhaps put it on your birthday list of Christmas present list. You can order a copy here.
 
As I write this, I have traced my Anderson family roots back to the early 1800's using a number of sources including the 1911 and 1901 census, PRONI - Valuation Revision Book Search and the Wills calendar.
 
But the best place to begin your family history trail is living relatives - take notes of what you have been told, but take most information with a pinch of salt, as much you will be told is inaccurate, dates and stories are either wrong or embellished in some way!
 
More Later.
 
HMA 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment